CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What to do?

On Sunday Jared was driving to go to a church meeting and was hit by another car. Jared was going straight while the other driver was heading in the opposite dirction. The other driver was making a right hand turn, spun out, ran over the white road dividers, and slammed into Jared's car and scraped down the whole side of the truck. He then sped off and was nowhere to be found. It was a hit and run accident and is unfortunate for us because we only have liability coverage on the truck because it's not worth much. Now we have to pay for our car to be fixed because some idiot was rude enough to hit us and run off. Nice!

By the way, Jared is not hurt and is totally fine!

So, now we are deciding if we should put a new pannel on the side of the truck (which won't match the color) $40 and bang out the dents in the door and down the side of the car. We would also have to replace the windsheild too for $185. The car is still completly drivable but just looks like a wreck! LOL Or should we just buy a new (used) car for pretty cheap and just sell the truck? What would you do?

Just a little info before you make your decision. We are ghetto I know so I hate to admit this but here it goes...

The odometer is broken
The gas gage does not work
The check engine light is constantly on
The heater is broken
The windshield now has 5 cracks instead of the previous 2
The A/C barely works
It's a 97' and has about 150,000 miles
It was previously a smokers car. I think it smells but Jared doesn't

Ok, now that you know we are white trash don't judge. :) We are just cheap. What can we say? LOL




8 comments:

T.M. said...

I'm not sure, only 150,000 miles on it? 200 dollars would be a little bit compared to a newer car, higher insurance, or what not. Did you file a police report?

Sarah said...

Check with ins...they have replaced windshields at no cost and no deductable on cars I have had only liability on. It didn't raise my ins either...I think it was with State farm..part of the policy. Just drive it that way. Don't you remember the Taurus Ben drove becuase we didn't have comp on that either. Wait a minute...I have comp on the van and you've seen that...

The Stewarts said...

Just drive it the way it is. Fix the windshield tho. I don't know if you could get any one to pay you to buy it with all those things wrong. plus now the title is tarnished.

Lance & Kristy said...

First, I am SO sorry!!! I can't believe that. But at least Jared is okay! Sarah may be right about the windshield, though. We recently had to replace ours so I was looking into stuff and at least some states have laws that require insurance companies to replace windshields at low or no cost to encourage people to get it done rather than drive unsafely. Good luck! So sorry that happened!

Marcos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcos said...

Buy a new (used)one. You know you want to.

Frogwoman said...

I agree with Sarah. I would replace the windshield, but just keep driving it until you are ready to get a new one. We also had State Farm replace our van's windshield for free. The company even came to our house and did everything in our driveway.

Anita Baker said...

i would think abougt the money involved. if the truck works fine and you don't have the money to invest in another car right now, pay the 200 or so and just keep driving it.

but if you have the money to invest then yeah go buy another car.

if you report the hit and run most likely your ins will go up. they always do regardless of who was at fault. i learned that a year ago.